Wednesday, June 23, 2010

i LOVE rummage sales!!!

Anyone who knows me knows how much I look forward to rummage sale season every year. I start checking the ads in March already. A good portion of our kids clothes and toys come from these sales. I save hundreds, if not thousands, each year. I am not afraid to shop off season or a year or two in advance either. I can't tell you how excited I get when one of the kids need to go up a size and I already have most of the clothes they need stored in a bin. I don't buy junk either. It's name brand, quality items for a fraction of what they cost new. It's one of the BEST ways to save money!!!

I have gotten some really great deals this year already. Just a couple nights ago, I was thinking about getting a 12 inch bike for our soon-to-be 3 year old little girl's birthday coming up. They were between $40 and $50. I stopped at rummage sale and found one in pretty nice condition for $5. Even though it's not new, she can't tell and wouldn't care if she could. I also got a bag full of clothes (6 shirts, 3 shorts, 1 jean, 1 pant, 1 sweatshirt and 2 bunny suits (most people look at me like I am crazy when I call them this, so if you don't already know, they are fleece footy pjs) ALL for $10. The funny thing is I had just come from Kohls looking for for a few bunny suits for camping. They didn't have any because it's only June, so instead of $10 each, I paid .50.

Here are some other great deals I have found this year.

Maclaren Triumph stroller (retails for $190) - $10
Like new Medela double pump, (retails for $285) - $80
Baseball shoes for the boys - $1
Used twice Easy Bake Oven (I won't say who, but one of the boys REALLY wants one for his birthday) - $1
Brand New Fisher Price Zoo Train (retails for $35) - .25
Battleship - $2
TONS of clothes - .25 - $1 each
3 Huge bags of toys (2 Nerf guns, 3 bigger baby toys, transformer helmet, 2 laser tag guns, action figures and a few other dress up items) - $5
Scooby and Turtles movies - $1 each
worn only a few times Nike Shox shoes - $2
car seat snugli (retails for $45) - $2
books - .25 - $1

We rarely buy anything for the kids at full price. Some things they get to play with now and some things get set aside for birthdays and Christmas. The great thing about kids is they don't really care about the fancy packaging. And they don't even notice if it's not new. They are just so excited to get something that they like.

There is a children's consignment sale twice a year that I have sold at for a few years now. Anything I buy at a rummage sale I can easily resell for the same, double or triple the price that I paid for it. If I regret a purchase or we are done using something, I resell it and I always make back more than what I spent. We just keep recycling!!
love
love
love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers