Saturday, January 29, 2011

couponing

Let me start by saying that we have always tried to use coupons when we can, but with all the hype about "couponing" going around, I started to read lot more about what it is, how to do it etc. I have a friend who passed along all her tips and ticks as well. It seems like I use the concepts in a lot of our other shopping, but not nearly as much with groceries. It's pretty simple really, it just takes some time and dedication. It's basically just using a store coupon AND a manufacturer coupon only when the item is on sale and stocking up when the item is at it's rock bottom price. The idea is to never have to by anything full price again.

I went to Target a few days ago to see how good I could do. (I really need to credit Dan here for finding and printing most of the coupons I used) I think I had about 40 coupons and ended up saving at least $50.

An example would be the granola bars we usually buy. They are normally $2.99 a box. They were on sale for $2.50. Then I had a $1 off each box coupon and a buy 2 get $1 off. They ended up being just $1.00 a box.

I know in the past Dan has been able to get the $3.50 box of Cheerios for right around $1 a box as well. These are the sale I will start paying better attention to and stocking up when we can. Finding a place to put it all could pose a challenge for us though. There's only so much room in this little trailer. ;)

We will never be able to save as much as some because we stay away from a lot of the processed type foods that you can get for almost nothing. That is one thing Dan and I won't compromise on. Just cuz it's cheap (or even free) does not mean it's good for you.

So, I've got my coupon binder ready to be filled and I want to dedicate the next couple months to "couponing" with groceries to see how much we can really save. Thankfully, we live within about 2 miles of 5 major places to get groceries, so we won't have to haul all over to get to the good sales. Gas should certainly be taken into consideration.

This idea of couponing is not really all that new to me though. This is how I have always shopped for the kids clothes and toys. I have a tub of both boys and girls clothes that are the next couple sizes up then what they currently wear. Whenever I find a good sale or hit a great rummage sale, I stock up. Old Navy was having a 40% off clearance sale the other day. Boys long sleeve t-shirts were marked down to $4.99. 40% off that made them $2.99 and I had another 20% off coupon on top of that. I ended up getting the shirts for $2.39 a piece. I bought 3-4 for each of the boys and put them away for next school year.

I wanted to link to a site that I found very helpful.

http://www.thekrazycouponlady.com/

This is the link to the Old Navy Coupon I was referring to. The coupon I always shop with is $10 off $50. I only buy $50 so it would be the same as 20% off. If you don't get that coupon right away (or a better one), just refresh the page and try again.

http://www.oldnavyweekly.com/

There seems to be many places out there to print online coupons. As I find good sites, I will link to them. Feel free to add a coment if you have a site to share as well. :)

love
love
love

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new arrival! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers