Thursday, January 27, 2011

good bye for good - RCU cc!!!

So .... I finally did it. I cut it up.

One of the scariest and most liberating things I have done in a while.

(We have been happy customers of RCU for about 15 years now. They have helped us in so many ways over the years. I really have nothing but great things to say about them and would recommend their services to anyone, but ..... a credit card is still a credit card... *sigh*)

I have been holding onto it as a safety net (which is the whole point of the emergency fund), but all it has done is get us into trouble. I think I was afraid to really just live on cash alone. It's a whole new way of life and although we have been doing a really good job of buying with cash, we were still using the card here and there. It's just too easy to spend when you don't have to cough up the money on the spot. It took me a while to do it, but I am so glad it is done. There have been way too many months where that card ends up with a + on it. I am super excited to see the amount on that card start to go down again!!!!!

It's really sad to know I am not even close to the only person out there that has been brainwashed to fear living on just cash. Credit cards bring some kind of false security which in reality does the complete opposite. This whole process is relearning an entire way of thinking and doing things. It's getting rid of bad habits and taking comfort when you learn a new healthy one. And most importantly, it's learning discipline.

Sadly, Americans have learned they can just have what they want when they want it. Few people earn what they want before they buy it and that is getting everyone into a lot of trouble. I'll be honest, I think is the hardest part of this whole process. Selling things we don't need or want anymore is easy. Working more is easy. Coupon clipping and watching for sales is actually kind of fun, but wanting something and having to say NO can be very difficult at times. In return though, we will gain contentment. That is better than any "thing" we have to say NO to!!
love

love
love

2 comments:

  1. Lori,

    Your family’s story is so powerful, and the financial decisions you’ve made these past couple of years are absolutely inspiring. I’m so happy for you!

    Please know that RCU hears you, and we care. Is there is anything we can do to help? You can reach me directly at 715-855-8801. Please don’t hesitate to call or write.

    Good luck on the road to financial peace!

    Deedee Effertz
    DeedeeE[at]rcu.org
    715-855-8801

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Deedee. We were close to bankruptcy 2 years ago. I think A LOT of people would have choosen to go that route, but we could not do that with a clear conscience. We got ourselves into the mess, so we have to get out. And it feels SO good!!! Our faith is stronger, our marriage is stronger and life is just happier knowing we are changing things.

    I also wanted to take the time to thank RCU. I have been with you guys for about 15 years now and have nothing but great things to say about how much you have helped over the years. We came to you a little over a year ago for some help and that is exactly what we got. You took over a number of our debts at great interest rates. I think I cried leaving the bank that day knowing that your help was going to allow us to get that much closer to being debt free. Not sure if we would have been able t make as much progress without you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers